Indian public and private banks will be closed on 12 days including the second and fourth Saturdays and Sundays in December 2021, owing to festivals.
According to the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) guidelines, banks remain closed on all public holidays but there are some holidays that are regional, i.e. restricted to certain states only. Regional holidays are decided by respective state governments.
The RBI divides bank holidays into three categories—those under the Negotiable Instruments Act, the Negotiable Instruments Act, and Real-Time Gross Settlement Holiday and Banks’ Closing of Accounts.
- December 3 – Feast of St. Francis Xavier (Goa)
- December 5 – Sunday
- December 11- Second Saturday of the month
- December 12- Sunday
- December 18 – Death Anniversary of U SoSo Tham (Meghalaya)
- December 19- Sunday
- December 24 – Christmas Festival (Christmas Eve) (Mizoram, Megahaya, Nagaland)
- December 25 – Christmas (widespread)
- December 26- Sunday
- December 27 – Christmas Celebration
- December 30 – U Kiang Nangbah (Meghalaya)
- December 31 – New Year’s Eve (Mizoram)
Holidays of the mentioned days will be observed in various regions according to the state declared holidays, however for the gazetted holidays, banks will be closed all over the country.
Disclaimer: All precautions have been taken to gather the most accurate information about the Bank Holiday dates for the month of December 2021. However, readers are advised to verify with their local branches to corroborate the same.